Life, especially although not just during the pandemic, can be filled with uncertainness. For seniors who are feeling less in command of particular aspects of life, such as losing cognitive or physical functioning, concentrating on exactly what can be controlled is empowering.
An excellent place to begin is by setting a daily routine, customized to an older adult’s particular interests and needs. Keep in mind the senior’s routine is not intended to be a strict schedule to be adhered to, but merely the foundation for predictability and structure. With the older adult’s direction and input, decide on a desired framework for each day. A sample day to day routine may look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Attend to personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast on the porch while listening to the news
- Take a stroll
- Tackle a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to bring to the neighborhood park
- Run a few errands
- Spend some quiet time reading or take a short nap
- Make dinner together and tidy up afterwards
- Watch a film
- Go to bed at 10:30 p.m.
- Routines lower anxiety and stress. Routines are comforting and calming, preventing the need to worry and wonder about what is going to occur next, who will be there to help, and how to ensure that everything will be taken care of.
- Routines create better sleep. Studies have shown that following a daily routine aids in sleep quality as well as the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep.
- Routines allow for high quality time with friends and family. Seniors and people who care for them can create routines that include enjoyable time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly lunch dates at a well-loved restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Our caregiving team is skilled at creating customized care plans and schedules to help make each day the very best it can be for seniors and the ones who love them through a full range of in-home support services, for example:
- Morning wake-up assistance, including personal hygiene and making a nourishing breakfast
- Engaging companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- And many more, in accordance with each person’s specific needs
Contact us any time online or over the phone at 215-935-6321 to request a complimentary in-home consultation. We’re happy to share more information about our Chester home care services and care in the surrounding communities.