Learn how to choose the best flu vaccine for seniors.
While COVID-19 still dominates our overall health concerns, it’s important to remember that other illnesses can be just as problematic, particularly for seniors. Flu season is here, and it is time to make sure the older adults you love are protected.
There are several different flu vaccines available, but the following are the most frequently recommended flu vaccines for seniors:
- High-dose vaccines
- Adjuvanted vaccines
- Intradermal vaccines
- Nasal spray vaccines
Generally, adults age 65 and over are encouraged to receive either an adjuvanted or high-dose shot, but consult with a doctor for his or her advice.
If an aging adult is hesitant to receive the seasonal flu vaccine, listed below are some important reasons to educate them on why it is so important:
- The immune system is less efficient as we get older, which makes it more challenging to recover from infections.
- Major complications from the flu are more likely in the elderly.
- 85% of flu-related deaths and up to 70% of flu-related hospitalizations occur in those over the age of 65.
- Secondary infections, such as ear and sinus infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia can develop from contracting the flu.
In addition to receiving the seasonal flu vaccine, older adults can boost their immunity through:
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet that incorporates foods rich in vitamin C, D, and zinc, in addition to complex carbs and lean proteins.
- Staying physically active with regular exercise every day. Thirty minutes daily is ideal, and can be broken down into smaller segments during the day.
- Keeping the environment sanitized and germ-free. A HEPA filter will also help with improving indoor air quality.
- Improving sleep habits by striving for 8 hours of sleep every night. Setting a routine at bedtime to include calming activities, limiting TV and technology, and keeping the bedroom dark and cool are all methods to help.
Along with the benefits of the flu vaccine for seniors, remember that following COVID-19 safety guidelines can help with avoiding other illnesses as well. Wash your hands frequently, practice social distancing, wear a face covering, and avoid large crowds.
Charter Home Health’s caregivers are here to help with expert in home senior care in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas! Let us provide transportation and accompaniment to doctors’ appointments and to receive a seasonal flu vaccine, in combination with our full range of in-home care services. We are also available to prepare nourishing meals, encourage seniors to engage in regular exercise, and so much more. Take the first step towards improving health and wellbeing for a cherished older adult by contacting us online or at (215) 935-6321 to request a complimentary in-home consultation.